Samye Institute hosts remote events, such as the Tsok Bum or Senior Lama Teacher series using the Zoom platform. You may have used Zoom before, but please follow the steps below to register and attend Samye Institute’s online zoom gatherings.
1. Registration in advance is required for joining the teaching. The registration link will be provided in the email you received.
You will need to register for the event through Zoom. We will request some contact information and additional information from you to help us run the event. On the Zoom registration page, the fields that are required will be marked with an asterix (*)
2. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
3. Save your confirmation email or save the link provided in the confirmation email to your calendar.
4. We will resend a Zoom confirmation email within 48 hours before the teaching begins (only for people who register at least one day prior to the teaching).
5. On the day of the teaching, you can join the meeting in one of the three ways:
- Join Zoom Meeting by following the link that you saved to your calendar.
- Join by “Click Here to Join” in the confirmation email.
- Log in by using the Zoom meeting ID and password. This option will only work if you register in advance.
Please enter Zoom 15 minutes before the event is scheduled to begin so that the teacher and instructor can begin teaching promptly. However, if you come in too early, we won’t be able to let you in.
Translations on Zoom
We will provide simultaneous translations in several languages. The languages offered will be detailed in the announcement email.
The main channel will generally be the teacher/instructor speaking in Tibetan with English translation. If you understand English, there is no need to do anything. For other languages, please select the channel for your language. Because Zoom only provides certain channels, the name of the channel might not match with your language—therefore, please notice which channel is assigned for your particular language. This information will be displayed at the beginning of the meeting.
Zoom—How to select your language channel in Zoom
After joining the Zoom meeting, you will be able to select your language where it says English as shown below. Just click on the arrow (^) and all of the available languages will appear. In some cases, the labeled language will be different from the translation provided. For example, if your language is Vietnamese, then you shall select “French”. If your language is Thai, please select “German”, according to the instructions provided at the beginning of the event.
Important Zoom notes:
1. Password: Zoom has tightened their security and a password is now required to join the meeting.
2. Waiting Room: After you enter the password and join Zoom, you may find yourself in a waiting area. This is another security feature that Zoom has added. Please be patient, and one of the hosts will admit you to the meeting very soon.
3. Microphone: Please mute your microphone upon entry to avoid sounds interfering with the meeting. We will be in noble silence while waiting for the instructor/teacher to arrive and during his teaching
4. Chat function: the chat room will be limited to chat with hosts only to allow you to notify the hosts about any unexpected problems.
Instructions for Zoom (if you have not used Zoom before):
1. Download Zoom application: It is best to download and install the Zoom application in advance. It will take only a few minutes, and the application is free. You can download the version that is best for your device. Here is the link: https://zoom.us/download#client_4meeting
2. Register and join the meeting by following the instructions above.