Accumulation in other languages?

• Accumulation in other languages?

Posted by Michal Sahaf on December 14, 2017 at 2:21 pm

Hello dear sangha!

I was wondering: when we accumulate texts recitations (not mantras) such as wang du or dusum sangye, is it OK to recite it in languages other than Tibetan? I’m currently working on a Hebrew translation for the wangdu and wanted to know if it will be OK to use it for accumulation. Can anyone check with Rinpoche what his view on this is? I hope it is OK, since it will be very helpful for me and I guess others who find the long Tibetan text hard to memorize.

Annie Hanson replied 6 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Julian Rutherford

December 15, 2017 at 3:14 am

Hi Michal,

Others have asked this before (mainly about reciting in English). Rinpoche’s view is that that it is indeed fine to use your own language and the accumulations do count towards the total. The meaning is the most important part, however as the texts are composed by great masters, they have blessings associated with them, so it’s preferable to chant in Tibetan once you are familiar with the meaning.

• Nguyen Duc Phuong Nam

January 3, 2018 at 12:22 am

Hi Julian,

I have a question that is kinda similar to Michal’s. In visualization of deity, for example Vajrasattva right before reciting the 100 syllabels mantra, there is an instruction that the 100 syllabels fly around the Vajrasattva. My question is: do I need to visualize the syllabels in Tibetan, or is it acceptable to visualize the alphabet characters?

• Annie Hanson

January 3, 2018 at 5:17 am

Is it possible to practice the Vajrasattva recitation on it’s own? I.e. aside from within a Ngöndro practice? If so – how wouldthat work?

• Hilary Herdman

Organizer
    January 4, 2018 at 8:14 am

Hi Annie,

Yes, it is very good to practice Vajrasattva on its own–we’re purifying all karma and residual tendencies so often our teachers suggest we do at least 21 of the long mantra on a daily basis.  As you know, we generally recite the long mantra 3X after reciting other mantras during a practice to purify any mistakes we may have made.

Here’s a link to a very complete discussion of the different levels of this practice.  https://studybuddhism.com/en/advanced-studies/prayers-rituals/tantric-practices/how-to-practice-vajrasattva

All the best,

Hilary

• Annie Hanson

January 5, 2018 at 1:58 pm

Thanks Hilary – that is an amazingly helpful resource!