Letting go of dharma objects.

• Letting go of dharma objects.

Posted by Derek Cheng on February 26, 2024 at 1:59 am

Dear Sangha,

What is the best way to “let go” of accumulated dharma objects? Particularly, statues or thangkas from earlier collections that might be of a “lower quality”, or given to me by other practitioners/non-practicioners as gifts. extra dharma texts, images etc?

Thank you for the advice… _/\_

In dharma,

Samten.

dharmafriend replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • meistereckhardt

February 26, 2024 at 2:01 pm

You give your not required Dharma objects as a gift ???? to someone who values them.

• dharmafriend

March 10, 2024 at 3:23 pm

I believe that these objects can also be given for placement within a consecrated reliquary like a stupa for instance. Letting them “go,” however is more importantly happening within one’s mind in such a way that one is truly able to “give freely” and without attachment or expectation of any return for oneself. I am not sure if this is easily accomplished by any of us really, so perhaps one can seek to do the best one can, to at least dedicate whatever we are able to give in such a way that we feel the meaning of this act to be one of really sensing this to provide for those who we somehow feel affinity to, or otherwise are releasing the object to others who can clearly make use of them in a way that somehow fits appropriately perhaps. I have heard it said that there is no harm in giving to persons or others who we are not feeling this kind of connection, but I believe, for myself at least that it is really nice to be generous however one is able in as many ways as one can find. My experience seems to be that generosity is wonderful for us, and that we can offer things we cherish always in everyday and ordinary ways like simply being kind, or making extra effort to others in ways that can be most mundane. By doing this, it seems that the compassionate aspect of mind can gain confidence that we are indeed a part of a world that is most meaningful, and cherish the richness of how special our world is to each and every creature we share this life with. It is also said that the gift of offering the dharma can help others to learn to gain liberation for themselves and that is most excellent, yet the exercise of generosity is always there within the mind all the way through to the last breath… I have heard that there are practices leading up to this where we offer things like the beauty of nature, or the full purpose of one’s life, as the release is near, that may give comfort in any way imaginable to those who remain behind, as a dedication of appreciation to our profound interconnection with the whole mystery of whatever our beliefs tell us is beyond our limitation.

• Derek Cheng

May 1, 2024 at 7:51 pm

Thanks for the informative reply ????????

• dharmafriend

May 28, 2024 at 10:35 am

I noticed your reply in my notifications, so thanks! Whoever had asked this question, I hope that these messages on this forum provides some helpful advice from the Samye community. I myself am a recent member of Samye Institute and hope to learn from senior instructors now that I am beginning this study with others fellow sangha at Samye. Thanks again!