Wisdom Blog: Lion or Dog?

• Wisdom Blog: Lion or Dog?

Posted by Hilary Herdman on August 27, 2015 at 8:38 pm

In a recent Wisdom blog post https://samyeinstitute.org/wisdom/

Rinpoche reminded us of a teaching he received from Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche and that he often gives about not chasing like a dog after thoughts and emotions.

How does this instruction help you in your practice? Do you check yourself regularly to see if you are becoming more like a lion?

Please join us in discussing this teaching and how you relate to it in your daily life.

Warm wishes,

Hilary

Bruce Cowen replied 8 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Julian Rutherford

August 28, 2015 at 5:31 am

I find this pith instruction incredibly helpful in practice. Trying to deal with thoughts and emotions by interacting with them guarantees I get lost in their plot so to speak.

When I turn and look for the source of where they’re coming from, it’s enough to loosen their fascination and grip on my attention. It reminds me to relax not get involved.

I’m far from manifesting the power and strength of a lion though, barely domestic kitten level!

• Bruce Cowen

August 28, 2015 at 10:38 am

What changed everything for me was realizing that these arisings were formations of the mind, i.e., sankhara formations.  From then on they were not real.  After that, it was easy to walk away from them.  Eventually, they stopped all together.

• nick ostapeck

August 28, 2015 at 11:04 am

This juxtaposition is most helpful. It is humorous while vividly pointing out two options we have when training in understanding nature of mind, and the outcome of choosing one option over the other.

• Bruce Cowen

August 28, 2015 at 11:33 am

Actually, what helped the most was focusing on lovingkindness.  That turned into the discipline of love.  That is a moment to moment discipline of turning the mind to do the most loving thing.  That opened up a whole realm of love itself.  Understanding the nature of mind came easy after that.

• Bruce Cowen

August 28, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Just to add to what I just wrote, the real key is Guru Yoga.  The love connection with the Guru includes where devotion is absolute and absolute trust is reality.  Unfolding of lovingkindness happens naturally from there.