General Discussion on Forum and Groups

• General Discussion on Forum and Groups

Posted by mattgoult on April 10, 2015 at 9:59 am

This is a general discussion thread for the groups and forum functions of this site.

Let us know what you think…

jetimberland replied 9 years ago 6 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • mattgoult

Organizer
    April 10, 2015 at 1:15 pm

To add that image, did you have to paste in an existing URL?

• hilaryherdman

April 10, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Michal’s point about keeping a limited number of lines is really helpful!

• huntine

April 10, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Hilary, do you know why your comment shows up four times? What should we be looking out for so that this doesn’t happen to us?

• hilaryherdman

April 10, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Michal’s point about keeping a limited number of lines is really helpful!

• monlopfer

April 10, 2015 at 4:34 pm

I agree with Michal, posts should be limited. It is nice to know that we can upload images.

• philji

April 10, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Testing

• huntine

April 10, 2015 at 4:48 pm

I like Michal’s idea of a “read more” option like Facebook has (if possible). Sometimes you just need those last two words to make your point. It would also allow for a more in-depth discussion of topics when that is relevant/important.

• jetimberland

April 10, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Why is the pound and number at the end visible?

• jetimberland

April 10, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Is there or should be a share external link to email a thread or a comment to somewhere else?

<span style=”font-size: 16px; line-height: 1.5;”>Phakchokrinpoche.org </span>

Can you make links autocreate if you type them in this box?

<span style=”font-size: 16px; line-height: 1.5;”> </span>

• mattgoult

Organizer
    April 10, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Thanks everyone. I’m going to add the “read more” function to our list of features to possibly add.

@John – The number is a unique identifier so we can reference a particular post within a forum thread. The numbers are also linkable meaning we can provide links that send people direct to a specific part of a page.

• jetimberland

April 10, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Got it. Like an anchor in HTML. You just don’t usually actually see them.

• jetimberland

April 10, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Matt – will there be automatically be email functionality or only if you enter a particular thread or ask to be included? Can you respond directly from email like Asana since you have the tags?

• jetimberland

April 10, 2015 at 5:07 pm

That has been very helpful for me with Asana to have that function.

• mattgoult

Organizer
      April 10, 2015 at 5:13 pm

No plans to include ability to respond to notifications directly via email. At the moment this would be too advanced for our capacity. Also there is a huge list of other features that we need to focus on first. The notifications of forum activity are sent via a different software system to this forum. The notifications include a link directly to the discussion thread which I think is ok for now.

• jetimberland

April 10, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Response to your earlier question: There is a link and a image buttons directly in the box.

• jetimberland

April 10, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Understand completely regarding your other statement. Will most of these forums be – working forums for people doing work or discussion forums regarding classes, Dharma teachings etc.?

Will email address and other identifying information made available about other members? (which can be very helpful in certain circumstances)  Any privacy measures?

• jetimberland

April 10, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Generally speaking. It already works very well. Tailoring it to the actual uses that people will use it for is probably most important now. Which I know you are doing already. Will people actually use the tags you think?

• mattgoult

Organizer
      April 10, 2015 at 5:31 pm

These forums and groups are going to be used for several purposes. This group is very much a working group, others will be purely for discussing practice etc. Some will be public access, others will be private and a small number will be hidden, possibly for those doing very advanced practices.

Regarding ways to share forum posts etc, this probably won’t happen as all these forums are behind the “wall” of the group they are in. A student needs to gain access to a group before they can view or post in the associated forum.

As for everything else such as sharing emails, privacy etc. These forums are very much a work in progress. This is the very first time we have invited anyone to use this site and the groups. Behind the scenes we are discussing and building all the relevant procedures for managing the site. We have a seriously huge task list and there is a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes here.

• jetimberland

April 10, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Sounds great. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. Primarily text driven items or easier but boring coding will be more my forte.

The discussion ‘General Discussion on Forum and Groups’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now